- Congratulations to Melanie Schiele ’10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) won BEST FEATURE SCREENPLAY prize for her original script Butterfly Children at the 2014 Fusion Film Festival, NYU Tisch’s premiere festival dedicated to celebrating the work of women in film, television, and new media.
- Congratulations to Mauricio Osaki '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose feature synopsis The Paths of My Father (based on the short My Father’s Truck) was selected by the LAB in Toulouse, France for European Co-production.
- Congratulations to Jean Lee ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose feature screenplay Kimchi Princes was 1 of 8 projects selected for the Film Independent Directors Lab.
- Congratulations to Laura Mohai ‘14 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose 2nd Year film Pigs was accepted into the Generation Kplus competition at Berlinale!
- Also, congrats to Mauricio Osaki '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose 2nd Year film My Father’s Truck will screen at Santa Barbara FF, Bermuda IFF, and Cinequest San Jose.
- Springtime by Erica Liu and My Father’s Truck by Mauricio Osaki (MFA candidate) will screen in the International Competition at the Clermont Ferrand Film Festival.
- Eviction by Garret Atlakson (MFA candidate) won the grand prize at the Poverty Cure film festival in NYC with a prize of $10,000. The film also won the Best Short Documentary Award at the Portland Film festival in Portland, OR and the Best Idaho Filmmaker Award at the Sandpoint Film Festival in Sandpoint, ID.
- Song Ting ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) received funding from Youku, China’s largest online video company, for The Way Home, her thesis film. Ting also received 2nd Prize in the short film division of 2013 Beijing International Screenwriting Competition for the screenplay of The Way Home.
- Ty Lawson ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, International Media Producing) has been invited to attend Berlinale Talents 2014. He was selected from over 4,100 applicants from 137 countries.
- Miriam Ditchfield (MFA candidate) won the DGA award for Best Woman Student Filmmaker in the Eastern Region for Black Horn Night Heron, her second-year film.
- Erin Galey’s ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) Brave Girl screened at NewFilmmakers Los Angeles on December 14th at the AT&T Center.
- Reunion, by Chen-Chieh (Joseph) Hsu (MFA candidate) won the Grand Prize Award (Golden Medal) in the 1st Taiwan Weifilm Festival- student section. The award comes with 10,000USD.
- Georgia Fu’s '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) 2nd year film Gigantic recently screened at Chicago International Film Festival.
- Erin Galey '10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) learned Brave Girl will screen at The Aesthetica Short Film Festival 2013. Galey's Sahashi Cori has been accepted to Evolution International Film Festival in Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
- H’Mong Sisters directed by Jeff Wong '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) and produced by Ty Lawson '12 (MFA, Kanbar, International Media Producing) was selected as a finalist at the United Nations No Time Left Festival. The film also was nominated in the best fiction and best actress category at the Grand Off World Independent Film Awards in Warsaw, Poland.
- Jean Lee '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) with her feature screenplay Kimchee Princess was recently accepted into the Sundance Institute Screenwriters Intensive
- Rosie Haber '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose feature screenplay Soledad was accepted into Film Independent's Project Involve Fellowship.
- Melanie Schiele '10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) won the grand prize at this year's Slamdance Screenplay competition for feature screenplay Butterfly Children.
- Kimie Tanaka( MFA Candidate) whose 2nd year film Kotobuki, was selected in the Festival Tous Courts (France). It will also be screened in Ozu Film Festival (Italy), Asiana International Film Festival (Korea), Kaohsiung Film Festival (Taiwan).
- Mauricio Osaki (MFA Candidate) whose 2nd year film My Father's Truck, was selected for competition in the 33rd Munich International Festival of Film Schools.
- JP Su's '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) Pagpag has been selected for the "Confrontations Competition" at the 29th International Short Film Festival in Berlin. Pagpag will also compete in the San Diego Asian Film Festival. Erica Liu's Springtime will be competing for Best Short Film in this year's edition of Heartland International Film Festival in Indianapolis.
- Live with the Sea, a documentary by Yuichiro Nakano, was accepted to The 21st Raindance Film Festival in London.
- H'mong Sisters directed by Jeff Wong and produced by IMP alum Ty Lawson, was selected for the 12th International Student Film and Video Festival of Beijing Film Academy (ISFVF). The film was also invited to screen at the Reggion Film Festival in Reggio Emilia, Italy
- Kimie Tanaka, whose 2nd year film Kotobuki/To Us will be screened in Short Short Film Festival Mexico, San Diego Asian Film Festival, International Student Film and Video Festival in Beijing Film Academy and International Inzmir Short Film Festival.
- Tim Yeung's second year film 90Days will premier at the Vancouver international film festival.
- Miriam Ditchfield’s second year film Black Horn Night Heron is screening at the Brisbane International Film Festival. Her short opens for The Rocket, which won the Crystal Bear and Best First Feature at Berlinale.
- Balaji Manohar’s second year film Three Colors was awarded the 1st runner up award in the student category at the 4th Suchitra Short Film Festival held in Bangalore. Three Colors was one of 250 entries the festival had received from all over India and other countries.
- Congratulations to Phil Giordano. The commercial Phil directed for RedMart won 1st Prize ($5000) in the Zooppa Competition.
- Congratulations to Jordan Schiele ’11 (MFA, Kanbar, Film)! His thesis film 5 cm had its world premiere at the 66th Locarno film festival.
- Eleonora Errico, whose second year film Through the Motions screened in competition at the Corto Biologico Film Festival in Naples in July.
- Recollections by Nathanael Carton ’11 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) won best short doc at Melbourne International Film Festival. Melbourne is an Academy qualifying festival so Nate’s film is now eligible for an Oscar nomination.
- The Harvester, Abhilash Chandrasekaran’s second year film was selected for its world premiere screening in the Wide Angle – Asian Short Film Competition section of the Busan International Film Festival.
- Congratulations to Erin Galey ’10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose thesis film Brave Girl took home the Women In Film “Best Female Director” and also the “Best Producer” awards Stephanie Bousley ’10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) and Brett Joffe ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, International Media Producing) at HollyShorts! Brave Girl was the only film to win 2 awards! Erin also received a first look deal with ShortsHD as a result of winning.
- Mauricio Osaki's’17 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) My Father's Truck won Best U.S. Film School Student Film Award at Palm Springs International Film Festival.
- Congratulations to Kimie Tanaka ’17 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose 2nd year film Kotobuki was nominated in the Sapporo International Short Film Festival.
- Erin Galey's ’10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) thesis film Brave Girl was voted top ten by the audience in drama/comedy category for "Best of Fest" repeat screenings.
- Yuichiro Nakano’s (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film) documentary Live with the Sea and Mauricio Osaki's film My Father's Truck were selected to screen in 'Best Student Films of the World' section of the Montreal World Film Festival.
- Warren Tessler's ’12(MFA, Kanbar, Film) Honor Bound was accepted into the 9th Annual HollyShorts Film Festival in Los Angeles.
- CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) will air H'mong Sisters (written and directed by Jeff Wong ‘13(MFA, Kanbar, Film) and produced by Ty Lawson ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) on its network throughout Canada for three years starting December 1st of this year.
- Congratulations to JP Su ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose 2nd year Film Pagpag is screening at the Montreal World Film Festival as part of Focus on World Cinema section. Pagpag was also nominated for Best Short film at the recently concluded Philippine Film Critics Circle Awards (Urian Awards).
- Rosie Haber '17 (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film) was one of five people selected for the Outfest 2013 Screenwriters Lab for her feature screenplay Soledad.
- Kimie Tanaka '17 (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film) recently picked up the Best Short Award in the Japan Competition at Short Shorts Film Festival and Asia 2013 for her film Kotobuki.
- Congratulations to Jordan Schiele ’11 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) who recently made a short film for Louis Vuitton at Cannes!
- Honor Bound, Warren Tessler’s '12 (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film) (MFA, Kanbar, Film) thesis film, premiered at the 7th Annual Manhattan Film Festival.
- Oh Lucy! by Atsuko Hirayanagi ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose feature was chosen as one of three scripts to be nominated for Sundance Screenwriters Lab by NHK (Japanese Broadcasting Corporation). If selected, she'll be participating in Sundance Screenwriters Lab in January 2014 and her project also will be a contender for the Sundance Institute / NHK Award.
- Congratulations to Gilani Moiseff ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) and Kimie Tanaka '17 (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film) whose actors received Best Actor and Best Actress in their respective categories at Short Shorts Festival and Asia 2013.
- Shirlyn (Hippo) Wong '13 (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film) whose short film Love’s Routine starring Willem Dafoe for the Jameson Competition premiered this month.
- Mauricio Osaki '17 (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film) My Father’s Truck won Best U.S. Film School Student Film Award at Palm Springs International Film Festival.
- Mathias Pardo (Kanbar, Film) picked up 2nd Place at Palm Springs for Best Live Action Short Over 15 min. for his film Spring Tides.
- H'mong Sisters directed by Jeff Wong ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) and produced by Ty Lawson ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, International Media Producing) has been selected to participate in the 28th Valencia International Film Festival Cinema Jove Short Film Competition as well as the Short Shorts Festival.
- Marttise Hill ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) recently received great press regarding his fundraiser for this thesis film Prom Date Blues.
- Shawn Sigler's (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film) adaptation, "Therapeutic Behavior" screened at the Substation's First Take followed by a Q&A with the director.
- Ayşe Gül Süter’s ’10 (MFA, Kanbar, Animation and Digital Arts) first solo exhibition, titled ‘Motion’ will be held at Pg Art Gallery in Istanbul between June 13 and July 13.
- Tori Keenan-Zelt ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing) was named a 2013-14 Playwrights’ Center Core Apprentice.
- I Was Loved By A Rat by Essie Martsinkovsky '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing) was accepted to the New York International Fringe Festival.
- A Cat's Tale by Kendal Whitlock '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing) was recognized as one of the five finalists from over 3,300 entries in The BlueCat Screenplay Contest.
- Rockaway by Melanie Schiele '10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) won two jury awards at the 2013 Arizona International Film Festival: Best Dramatic Short and Best Performance in A Short Film for Actress Audrey Tommassini.
- Three Tisch Asia films are included in the line up for the Busan International Short Films Festival, including:
Recollections by Nathanael Carton (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film)
Xe tải của bố (My Father's Truck) by Mauricio Osaki (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film)
Brave Girl by Erin Galey ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, Film)
- Congratulations to Kimie Tanaka (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Film) whose 2nd year film Kotobuki was selected for the 2013 Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia program.
- Angela Ryan (MFA candidate, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing) has been shortlisted for the Inscription Screenwriting Scholarship, Hollywood for her screenplay Devil's Handiwork.
- Bravo to Eric Flanagan ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) whose second year film, Teleglobal Dreamin, will be shown on a new US public channel television program called "Film School Shorts" in the upcoming week: http://blogs.kqed.org/filmschoolshorts/, http://blogs.kqed.org/filmschoolshorts/about-film-school-shorts/, http://www.kqed.org/tv/programs/index.jsp?pgmid=21385
- Erin Galey ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) picked up two awards for her thesis film Brave Girl: Best Short Film at Palm Beach International Film Festival and Jury Special Prize at Bermuda International Film Festival.
- Colleen Cox ’10 (MFA, Kanbar, Animation and Digital Arts) is the lead animator on the new animated movie Last Days of Coney Island by legendary animator Ralph Baksi.
- Tori Keenan-Zelt (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing) was named a semi-finalist in the Eugene O’Neill National Playwrights Competition for her The Egypt Play, Or The Misses Black On A Holiday Jihad.
- Jean-Marc Gauthier ’99 (MPS, Kanbar, ITP) Associate Arts Professor, Chair of Animation and Digital Arts at NYU Tisch School of the Arts Asia, gave a lecture called “3D Storyboarding from Disney to Mobile Phones” at the School of Creative Media, City University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong).
- Recollections, a documentary by 5th year student Nathanael Carton (MFA, Kanbar, Film) was screened in competition at the SXSW Festival in Austin, Texas. Future screenings include Tribeca Film Festival, Thessaloniki Documentary Festival, San Fransisco International Film Festival, Chicago Critics Film Festival.
- Temp to Perm, a second year film by Philip DeRise (MFA, Kanbar, Film) will premiere at the Cleveland Film Festival April 7, 2013.
- CAAMFEST 2013, formally known as the San Francisco Asian International Film Festival, selected Last Tea Party, a second-year film by Melanie Ramos (MFA, Kanbar, Film) for screening. Also, Melanie's adapation, Deliver Her was accepted into the Los Angeles Asia Pacific Film Festival.
- Erin Galey ’10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) continues success with Brave Girl. The film is one of the winners of the 2013 SXSW Austin Film Society Shortcase, and it was also accepted into the 2013 Atlanta Film Festival and the 2013 Palm Beach International Film Festival.
- Crossings by Amos Katz (MFA, Kanbar, Film), Associate Director of Production at Tisch Asia, will screen at 2013 Newport Beach Film Festival and the 36th Asian American International Film Festival '13.
- H’Mong Sisters by Jeff Wong (MFA, Kanbar, Film) and Ty Lawson ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, International Media Producing) has been selected for the 2013 Short Shorts Film Festival and Asia program.
- Derek Elley at Film Business Asia just reviewed Unpolitical Romance by Chun-Yi Hsieh ’11 (MFA, Kanbar, Film). The film is set for distribution.
- The Reunion by Allie Mills ‘13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) has been selected for competition in the Shorts Category at the Palm Beach International Film Festival in Florida.
- Gigantic by Georgia Fu ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) was selected for competition at Slamdance 2013.
- On February 18, Kenny Gee ‘11 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) learned the fundraising campaign for his thesis film The Body was nominated as Indiegogo's Campaign of the Day and Indiewire's Project of the Day.
- The Arizona International Film Festival accepted two films into competition from Zhang Shaoyan ‘13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film), Vivre Le Film, a short narrative, and Steady Life, a short documentary.
- Congratulations to Erin Galey ‘10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film). Her thesis film Brave Girl recently screened at the Independent Film Quarterly Film & Webisode Festival in Beverly Hills, Calif. The film was also recently selected by both the Bermuda International Film Festival and the Sarasota Film Festival.
- Jeff Wong ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) and Ty Lawson’s ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, International Media Producing) H'mong Sisters was announced as an Official Selection at the Hong Kong International Film Festival 2013. It recently premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival 2012 and Whistler International Film Festival 2012.
- Gigantic by Georgia Fu ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) was selected for competition at Slamdance 2013.
- Assistant Arts Professor Katherine Lindberg’s ’98 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) high concept drama, Tomorrow, is in development at ABC.
- Clermont Ferrand International Film Festival has chosen Mo Ikkai by Atsuko Hirayanagi ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) for competition.
- Three films from Tisch Asia were selected for competition at the Berlin International Film Festival: Cahaya by Jean Lee, ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) My Father’s Truck by Mauricio Osaki, ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) Black Horn Night Heron by Miriam Ditchfield ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film). All three films will compete in the “Generation” program block.
- Associate Arts Professor Sarah Cawley, Head of Cinematography, Film, was the Director of Photography on the pilot of Golden Boy, which premieres on CBS February 26, 2013.
- Imelda O’Reilly, Assistant Arts Professor in Graduate Film, was the story consultant for Brief Reunion, which is now playing in theaters in New York and Los Angeles. Joe Foley, Graduate Film Teacher, was Director of Photography.
- Animation and Digital Arts Chair Jean-Marc Gauthier's ’99 (MPS, Kanbar, ITP) work on 3D storyboards was published by Hongik University's International Symposium on Diversifying Film and Digital Media in Seoul.
- Arjun Chatterjee, Liu Jing, Mariel Sayuno, and Jennifer Yoo, all second year Animation and Digital Arts students, designed and launched "The Bounce Project", www.bounceproject.net, a Website and interactive animation project built on social networking.
- Chun-yi Hsieh’s '11(MFA, Kanbar, Film) Unpolitical Romance premiered at the 49th Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival.
- The Directors Guild of America named John Paul Su ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film), the Best Asian American Student Filmmaker for his film Pagpag (The Refuse).
- Samantha Nell ’14 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) is one of five filmmakers to be selected for the Focus Features Africa First program. Focus will invest $10,000 into the production of Sam’s short film One Way Ticket during the summer 2013.
- Jeff Wong ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) and Ty Lawson’s ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, International Media Producing) H'mong Sisters premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival 2012. It also screened at the Hong Kong International Film Festival 2013 and Whistler International Film Festival 2012.
- Bedok Reservoir, a new play by Wesley Leon Aroozoo '13 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing), premiered at the Goodman Arts Center in Singapore.
- Drayton Hiers '11 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing), was dramaturg and directed a developmental reading of Between Us, a new play by award-winning Singaporean playwright Jean Tay.
- Emil Polyak, Assistant Arts Professor, Animation and Digital Arts, was invited to present “Virtual Impersonation Using Interactive Glove Puppets” at Siggraph Asia 2012 in Singapore.
- Lai Weijie ’10 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) represented Singapore in the Asia-Pacific Screen Awards with his film I Have Loved.
- Gone Shopping and Forever by Wee Li Lin ’11 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing) screened at “Frame x Frame” at the The Arts House.
- I Have Loved by Lai Weijie ’10 (MFA, Kanbar,Film) was selected for the Asian New Talent Awards at the 15th Shanghai International Film Festival.
- Ubin, a play by Su Ching Teh’s '12 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing), and Iyom by Lou-Lou Igbokwe’s '12 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing) were read at The WorkShop Theater Company in New York.
- Olivia Briggs ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing), received the 2012 Jane Chambers Award for student playwrights. The award, given by the Association for Theater in Higher Education, recognized Olivia’s play Agnes’ Baby.
- The Champions by Gilani Moiseff ’12 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) was named an official selection at the Guam International Film Festival.
- Kimie Tanaka ’13 (MFA, Kanbar, Film) was selected out of 155 applicants to attend the Tokyo Talent Campus 2012.
- B. by Marcia Vanderstraaten '14 (MFA, Kanbar, Dramatic Writing) was staged at the Goodman Arts Center in Singapore.
- Sandhya Prabat's '11 (MFA, Kanbar, Animation and Digital Arts) short animated film, Deadline screened at Art Watching @ Istana Park and Esplanade Visual Arts Program Short Film Showcase in Singapore. The animation was a semi-finalist in the Adobe Design Achievement Awards 2012, USA.
- Patrick Smith, Assistant Arts Professor, Animation and Digital Arts, was invited to present a retrospective of his work at the Fifth Edition of the Animasyros Animation Festival in Greece.